Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Book Review: A Casual Vacancy

The Casual VacancyThe Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was very skeptical about this book. In my house we are HUGE HP fans and I just couldn't wrap my mind around her writing a contemporary adult novel. Still, curiosity got the better of me so when I saw it available at my local library I decided to give it a shot.

First of all, it is NOT a book for kids. In fact, having worked at a YA librarian, tend to think that even older teens and possibly 20-somethings, might not get the full effect of this novel. And anyone under 16, even a mature child, probably shouldn't read this. (I only write this disclaimer because I have heard some parents have let their kids read this one.)

That said, i can tell you that this is a very well written, deep thinking, entertaining, and dare I say profound? book. If you do not already know this Rowling spent many years on the brink of poverty and receiving government help. As a single mother who has also been in this situation I found her observations of life on state assistance and the support or judgments of others. And that is the crux of this book.

It takes place in small town England where a sudden death opens a spot on the local counsel. This normally ho-hum village is suddenly in a bit of a political battle now, with the main issue being whether or not to continue funding some government funded housing that sits on the border of their village and a larger town and also whether they should end a lease on a building that houses a drug rehab facility. These issues end up exposing more than just political views as scandals are unearthed and emotions hit boiling points. Everyone in town, from teenager to retiree, is caught up in the turmoil and discover that their lives are not so simple even in this small village.

Rowling's characters are amazingly fleshed out and she expresses the opinions and views of every person, no matter what their motivation, so authentically. The settling is so well defined that, even as an American, I felt like I was part of the village myself.

It is a long read, so make sure you have the time to devote to it, but this book is worth the time.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment